Benalmadena is one of the most important cities of the Costa del Sol in Malaga, with about 60,000 inhabitants is undoubtedly one of the most historic towns in the area.
It also has a wide range of leisure activities of all kinds, among which are its popular festivals and several theme parks such as Tivoli World or the aquarium Sea Life Benalmadena or a spectacular butterfly farm.
The three areas of Benalmadena
The municipality of Benalmadena has three distinct areas, each with its own characteristics:
– Benalmadena Pueblo, is the old town and origin of the locality. You can enjoy a walk through a typical area of the area, with steep streets and white houses in the old town.
– Benalmadena Costa, next to the sea and full of a wide range of leisure and restaurants, hotels and accommodation, as well as areas of attractions such as Puerto Marina, great beaches and shopping centers.
– Arroyo de la Miel, located between the two previous areas, is a quiet and residential neighbourhood ideal for living.
The origin of Benalmadena
This town is one of the most historic in the area, founded by Phoenician sailors who made the settlement flourish quickly thanks to trade, agriculture and livestock.
Benalmadena has a rich historical past that you can see for yourself walking through the steep streets of the historic center. The city always had a great splendour in Roman times, in times of Arab control and then under Christian domination after the reconquest by the Catholic Monarchs being a control center for the fight against pirates from North Africa.
Places to see in Benalmadena.
If you live in Benalmadena or you are going to visit it, you cannot miss an endless number of historical and leisure places, among which stand out:
– The castles of Benalmadena, such as Colomares and Bil-Bil castle.
– The church of Santo Domingo, the oldest in the city, near the Jardins del Muro.
– The statue of the Girl of Benalmadena, symbol of the city.
– The Archaeological Museum, also known as the Museum of Pre-Columbian Art.
– The Tibetan Stupa, a Buddhist monument over 30 meters high.
– Puerto Marina of Benalmadena with one of the first amusement parks in Spain: the Tivoli World and one of the most beautiful port areas in the world.
– The Mariposario, a space with more than 150 species of butterflies which makes it the largest in Europe.
– The cable car that takes you from Tivoli Park to Monte de Calamorro, which crowns the city with breath-taking views.
– Selwo Marina, a marine park where you can enjoy all kinds of marine species.
– The Garden of the Eagles, next to the Colomares Castle and with a great variety of birds of all kinds.
The festivals and fairs of Benalmadena
And if the offer of things to see in the city was not enough for you, you cannot miss a great offer of fairs, parties and festivals of all kinds.
Among them stand out:
– The Corpus Christi with its spectacular carpets of petals.
– The Pilgrimage and Fair of San Juan in honour of the patron saint of Arroyo de la Miel.
– The Benalmadena Festival, an appointment with culture, music and theatre.
– Fair of the Virgen de la Cruz with processions, concerts and outdoor activities.
– The Seafood Fair where you can enjoy this delicacy.
– The Festival Hispano Argentino with musical performances.